Saturday, June 5, 2010

Be Quick But Don't Hurry

Well we lost the great John Wooden overnight. He was just four months shy of his 100th birthday. What a long and wonderful life he had, and what an example of how to live and behave. They say he was sharp as a tack until the very end, an encouraging reminder that advancing age need not always result in mental decline.



I keep using the word "ironic" to describe the timing of events this week and, as I'll explain later, perhaps "irony" is not what's at work here. But there is no escaping the incredible timing: As I wrote in this blog, Sunday and Monday were particularly trying for my patience in dealing with my father's dementia. I hated the way I was responding to the challenge and I desperately needed some wisdom. Sunday night, as I was out driving around taking pictures of quirky neon signs, the concept of "hurrying" kept popping in my mind. I ALWAYS feel hurried. In fact, I usually feel like a contestant on Beat the Clock, assigned some difficult task on a seemingly impossible time table before the buzzer sounds to end the game, or in my case provoke my father's agitation...an agitation that will surely make the rest of his my day or night miserable, as well as mine.

I couldn't sleep Sunday night; I was too anxious, so I went to my bookcases and the one book that jumped out from ALL others was "Be Quick, But Don't Hurry," by Coach John Wooden and Andy Hill, one of Coach's former UCLA players.

I first bought and read the book seven years ago and I admit I had forgotten most of the "Wooden Maxims" it relies upon to instruct and inspire. I had also forgotten that Andy Hill went on to become head of programming at CBS and brought us the series "Touched By an Angel," among others.

The chief maxim is, of course, "Be quick, but don't hurry." It makes sense if you think about it. You have to act fast, but always stay in control. Easy to say, but hard to do. Yet, that's how championships are won.

I'm just amazed that I picked up this book the very night Coach Wooden's body finally started to give out, though nobody knew it until later in the week when reports from the hospital said he was in "grave condition." Early this morning, when I learned he died, I felt compelled to send Andy Hill an e-mail. I thanked him for the book and told him how ironic it was that I picked it up to re-read when I did. Here's his response:
Don:

Thanks for the kind words. You say it is “ironic” that you picked up my book when you did. I guess I’d say it was more of a coincidence…and coincidence is just God’s way of staying anonymous.

May your Dad find peace like Coach.

Andy
Andy Hill

http://www.AndyHillSpeaks.com


Pretty good stuff right from the CBS Godfather of "Touched By An Angel."
God's way of staying anonymous.

Oh yeah...I should also admit that my own refrigerator has long had just one piece of wisdom that has stayed amidst the flotsam and jetsam of appointment reminders, store receipts, lottery tickets and newspaper clippings.



It is at the bottom, a black and white card that is a small facsimilie of Coach Wooden's "Pyramid of Success."

He sent it to me years ago (at my request), along with a larger signed copy that I've framed and have hanging in my office.

I scanned the larger version because it is easier to read.



Rest in Peace, Coach John Wooden. 1910-2010.
















No comments:

Post a Comment