Saturday, June 5, 2010

I Hurried!

Yep..I hurried and blood was spilled! My own blood.

How is it that I so actively consume morsels of wisdom only to cough them all up like a giant feline hairball?

Today my task was to go over to the house and mow the lawn. Keep in mind, that house seems to be a brick and mortar crucible for explosive fights with my father.

I do understand it. It was his house for 40 plus years and I moved him out into a condo when it was clear he could no longer maintain it safely and adequately. He is fine with the condo, but he also is drawn back to that house like a moth to a flame.

I understand that. I totally understand that he feels it is HIS house, and it is.

But it is MY job now to try to get this place ready for sale or rent and it is a huge undertaking. Dad does not always, er..SELDOM, agrees with the things I believe need to be accomplished to make the house economically productive. As it is now, it is a wasting asset.

This morning, he insisted upon going with me over there and retrieving a circular table saw he had in the basement. I've learned to pick my battles. Even though I know he will have ZERO use for a table saw in the condo, I agreed to let him take it and store it in the outside tool shed. If it makes him more at ease to have his power tools nearby, so be it.

However, I told him there was one condition about going over to the house: "You have to call me to carry the saw upstairs when you have it ready to transport." He apparently had some unbolting and other prep work to do before it could be moved. I went outside to cut the front lawn. As I was cutting, he came out and started talking to me with the mower running. It forced me to kill the motor and I was somewhat peeved. That motor is very difficult to get started, so having to stop it down did not sit well. Of course, Dad was ready for the saw. I told him to hang on until I finished the front yard. Immediately he started up and I could sense a tantrum: "I'll just get the Goddamned thing myself." Once again, I let him push my buttons and have his way. I stopped everything I was doing, HURRIED downstairs to get the saw and was out of control. A person in their right mind would have made sure all doors were open and pathways clear before carrying outside a heavy saw. I did not. I got to the closed storm door, tried to open it with one hand while steadying the saw with the other. The saw gave way and the blade sliced my leg open.

I hurried and THIS was my lesson:



When will I ever learn? And yes, it hurts. Yes, I do think it needs stitches. And no, I'm not going to get them. I'll bleed to death just to prove a point.

No comments:

Post a Comment